We’ve known for along time the wise advice to use an alkaline mouthwash like AlkaCare®. Recently, Dr. Hoss, reinforced the benefits of using Alkaline Mouthwash for the reduction of oral disease, tooth decay, plaque build up, and mouth ulcers. A healthy mouth can increase life expectancy by up to 10 years.
Oral health connects to overall body health, but “what we’re currently doing is not working,” says dentist and author of “If Your Mouth Could Talk.” 
Hoss recommended the following steps:
- After waking up, use an alkaline mouthwash to restore the pH of the mouth, and loosen any plaque and particles that built up overnight. Rinsing this way reaches areas of the mouth that the toothbrush can’t.
- Floss to remove plaque between your teeth. Any floss is better than no floss, but regular string floss is the best because you use a clean surface every time, Hoss said. Flossers with a handle would be his second choice, followed by water flossers.
- Clean your tongue with a scraper or brush “because that’s another area that people ignore and it’s a big source of a bacteria that cause bad breath,” Hoss said.
- Brush with a safe and effective toothpaste using a toothbrush with soft bristles.
- Repeat this routine before bedtime, but reverse the order, so that the last oral care product you use before bed is the alkaline mouthwash, Hoss recommended.
- In the 16 hours between morning and evening, he was a fan of using mouth spray with xylitol or chewing xylitol gum to balance the acidity of the mouth throughout the day.
“It’s not really complicated: Brush and floss routinely using the right oral care products. Visit your dentist regularly,” Hoss said. “Your oral health impacts every part of your life.”
- 1. Pawlowski, A. “Dentist Warns against 1 Habit That Leaves “the Baddest, Toughest” Germs in Your Mouth.” TODAY.com, 7 June 2022, https://www.today.com/health/health/dental-health-dentist-tips-healthy-mouth-teeth-rcna32105